It happened today... on June 26th
Rome, Italy - Voyage in the history
(WAPA) - The events and anniversaries:
Helicopters: 1934 - Initial flight of the Focke-Wulf Fw 61, the first practical helicopter.
Report: 1945 - The United Nations Charter is signed in San Francisco.
Military Aviation: 1948 - The Western allies start an airlift to Berlin after the Soviet Union has blockaded West Berlin.
Aerospace: 1973 - On Plesetsk Cosmodrome 9 people are killed in an explosion of a Cosmos 3-M rocket.
Report: 1975 - Indira Gandhi establishes authoritarian rule in India.
Incidents: 1978 - Air Canada airplane Flight 189 to Toronto overran the runway and crashed into the Etobicoke Creek ravine. Two of 107 passengers onboard died.
Report: 2000 - The third Fatima secret is unveiled.
Report: 2006 - The Republic of Montenegro becomes the 192nd member of the United Nations.
Today were born...
- 1824 - Lord Kelvin, Irish-born physicist, inventor of Kelvin scale (of temperature).
- 1824 - William Thomson, British physicist.
- 1898 - Willy Messerschmitt, German aircraft designer.
- 1925 - Pavel Beljajev, Soviet cosmonaut.
- 1943 - Klaus von Klitzing, physicist Nobel Prize laureate.
In memory of...
- 1939 - Costanzo Ciano, Italian politician.
- 1975 - San Josemaría Escrivá, Spanish Catholic priest and Opus Dei founder. (Avionews)