Ukrainian war: EU arms plan
Illustrated document with three key points for munitions supply in Kiev
The European Union's High Representative for Foreign Policy, Josep Borrell, proposed a three-point plan for the supply of munitions to Ukraine, in support of the conflict against Russia. The document was illustrated in front of the defense ministers of the member countries during an informal meeting held in Stockholm today. A move that comes at a "decisive moment" when Russia is preparing a military offensive in the spring.
"The European Peace Facility (Epf) is ready to mobilize all its resources. For the first pillar of the plan, to transfer ammunition to Ukraine, we are ready to finance with one billion euros. For the second pillar we are in a position to make a significant amount available. The Epf pays 60%, the remaining 40% is paid by the member States", said Borrell, explaining how the supply of ammunition will be financed.
The European Commissioner for the Internal Market, Thierry Breton, explained Brussels' plan in a nutshell: "First: we want to make sure we mobilize everything we can from existing stocks. Second: we want to make sure that we drastically increase our manufacturing capacity in Europe, especially to strengthen the defense industry. Third: we also want to put funds from the EU budget to speed up this defense industry strengthening".
AVIONEWS - World Aeronautical Press Agency