Boeing-Embraer jv to develop new markets for the C-390 Millennium aircraft
The name of the joint-venture announced
Boeing and Embraer announced today their joint-venture to promote and develop new markets for the C-390 Millennium multi-mission airlift and air mobility aircraft will be called Boeing Embraer–Defense. The organization will only be operational after the companies' jv receives regulatory approvals and meets closing conditions.
The C-390 Millennium is a tactical transport aircraft designed to set new standards in its category, while presenting the lowest life-cycle cost on the market. The aircraft brings airlift and air mobility into the jet age with increased mobility, rugged design, higher flexibility, state-of-the-art proven technology and easier, more efficient maintenance. The C-390 Millennium can perform a variety of missions (aerial refueling, cargo and troop transport, cargo and paratrooper airdrop, search and rescue, aerial firefighting and humanitarian missions).
The Millennium received its Civil Certification from the Brazilian National Aviation Agency (ANAC) in 2018 and is now in full production. In August 2019, Portugal signed a contract to acquire five aircraft with deliveries slated for 2023. The Brazilian Air Force (FAB) received its first aircraft on September 4, 2019 and the delivery of the second unit to the Brazilian Air Force is scheduled to happen in 4Q19.
The Brazilian industry will have 51 percent ownership of Boeing Embraer – Defense, with US company holding the remaining 49 percent. The C-390 Millennium partnership is one of two planned joint-ventures between the companies. Boeing Brasil–Commercial will be a jv comprising the commercial aviation operations of Embraer, with 80 percent owned by US giant and 20 percent owned by the South American industry. Both joint-ventures remain subject to regulatory approval and customary closing conditions. The companies expect their transaction to close in early 2020.
© AVIONEWS - World Aeronautical Press Agency Srl