It happened today: Italian Pan receives the first G-91 aircraft
It was December 28, 1963
On December 28, 1963 in Rivolto (near Udine), the first G-91 airplane arrives in the special Pan configuration (National aerobatic team of the Italian Air Force, AMI), a suitably modified version for aerobatic training of the Fiat light tactical fighter plane. For the first time since the end of the Second World War, an Italian aerobatic group is equipped with a fighter aircraft of national design and production. Among the most significant changes were the installation of pitch dampers, the replacement of the four 12.7 caliber machine guns on board with as many shaped counterweights and the assembly of the smoke system powered by the canisters applied to the sub-wing pylons. The G-91 Pan replaced the Canadair CL-13 "Saber" from the end of 1963.
The Fiat G-91, later Aeritalia G-91, was in fact a single-engine jet and arrow-wing fighter-bomber-reconnaissance aircraft, designed by the engineer Giuseppe Gabrielli and produced by the Italian aeronautical company Fiat Aviazione (which later became Aeritalia) from the middle of the years Fifty. It was the winner of the competition announced by NATO in 1953 for the production of a new light tactical support aircraft.
In addition to the AMI, it was also mainly used by the German Luftwaffe. Pan discarded it when it was replaced with the Aermacchi MB-339 Pan. With the delivery of the latter, which took place in 1981, the still efficient G-91 Pan and R/Pan were sold to the 2nd Wing which continued to use them until the end of their very long operational life.
The Força Aérea Portuguesa used the G-91 from 1966 to 1973 in counter-guerrilla operations in Portuguese Guinea and Mozambique. The airplane remained in production for 19 years. 756 units were built, including prototypes and pre-production models.
AVIONEWS - World Aeronautical Press Agency